First, let me preface...I would never use a Dell for my home workstations.

However, putting on the corporate hat once again, Dell (or, rather, any
large vendor) has definite advantages. I don't have time to build every
machine and server we deploy, and for servers, guaranteed interoperability
is of paramount concern. I also don't have the time to extensively
troubleshoot every system fault. I call Dell, they come fix it. Dell (and
others) also have nice systems management software and firmware/driver
update mechanisms--quite nice for the busy IT department.

Support contracts are corporate kings. If I have a drive in the SAN or a
production box die, I can get a replacement drive delivered to my desk
within 2 hours. That level of responsiveness is worth its weight in gold
when you're facing the prospect of totally down or degraded/vulnerable
servers.

Not that I'm big on Dell...they just serve our needs quite well. That and
the rather sizable commercial discounts...

Greg