Joe,
Thank you for your take. Yes, I have learned (the hard way!) that in Pooters, 'assume' often leads to the mother of all screw-ups. But, in the past 8 years, W2K has asked me for drivers only 2 times, and, I expected it both times. For any kind of network doo-dad, W2K always seemed to have a default driver for it and just installed it and got on with business.

Of course, I am doing the research now to track down just "what" the on-board GBit nic is and look for any updated drivers for W2K if they exist. I think the GBit nic is 3Com/Broadcom, but I will confirm.

I am really only testing with this. Already know that my Dell switches list a compatibility issues with both Realtek and 3Com nics. Odd, because the current 10/100 nVidia on-board nics use the Realtek device..........? But then, I rarely saturate my LAN. New Intel Pro/1000 nics are already on order.
Best,
Duncan

At 12:39 01/31/2008 -0600, you wrote:
Hello DHSinclair,

> 6. Reboot PC to W2K - hope OS picks up new nic(!)
> (here, I am going to assume that W2K has a default driver for the new nic)
> 7. Admin new nic in CP/Device Manager (ipconfig/all info)
> 8. Check for new 'Local Area Connection'; create if necessary
> 9. Move net cable to new nic; try and connect to other LAN clients.
> 10. If OK; repeat steps at another client. If not OK; Hmm........

Everything was great till 6.
(here, I am going to assume that W2K has a default driver for the new nic)

Don't assume this. Otherwise sounds ok to me.

--
Regards,
 joeuser - Still looking for the 'any' key...