Yeah, I think 10990 is the expected answer, but you could take it a step
further...

The information, as presented, is that the girls are ON the bus...which
could be interpreted as sitting on top of the roof or something. That'd
mean, potentially, zero are IN (the confines of) the bus, as the question
asks.

Alternatively, the information presented doesn't indicate that the girls are
WEARING the backpacks, suggesting the possibility that the backpacks are at
home, or at school, or anywhere else. That could mean the answer is 14...