As always there are little niggling differences that
can be a pro or con for either. But spindle speed is
definitely the biggest deciding factor.

SATA2 can achieve higher burst speeds due to the
higher bandwidth of the interface + caching. There is
an edge in performance when transferring small blocks
of data.

Overall a 10k or 15k rpm drive should definitely out
win out over a 7200rpm drive regardless of the
interface. The main idea is that sustained transfers
from all conventional hard disks aren't capable of
even saturating the slower interfaces much less the
faster ones.

-Tharin O.