Having going through the a&&pain of multiple reboots and patching for
a new windows install too many times myself, I wanted to pass along
this little gem that I don't think has been mentioned here before:

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/security/Do-it-yourself-Service-Pack--/features/80682

It's an offline updater for Windows, reminiscent of the now defunct
Autopatcher.  You download it, tell it which windows products (OS
and/or Office), versions, and languages you want, and it will download
all the patches and service packs and put them into one burnable CD or
DVD.

The download link for the latest version is here:

http://www.heise.de/ct/projekte/offlineupdate/download_uk.shtml

Lifesaver.

---
Brian