Thanks for all the suggestions.  Free is definitely good.

What was beginning to bug me is, 1)The only updates in the last 3
versions of Burning Rom is that it works with newer recorders, the
same clunky interface, the same awkward GUI. 2)Nero Showtime is now
virtually useless, won't play most avi's (I was told they have to be
'fixed') and won't play mkv files.  Note that WMP plays everything
with no problem.  I expect better features on upgrades, not less.

Steve