Most of my media is non-iTunes, and I've had to hack it to play various other media. Truth be told, I'm not very happy with it. A lot of media in my collection just won't play on it, due to the way it's encoded.

Brian Weeden wrote:
That's a tough choice - Apple TV or the Popcorn Hour.  For me I went with
the Popcorn Hour because 99.9% of my media was non-DRM stuff ripped from CDs
and DVDs or recorded TV shows.  While I used iTunes mainly for its podcast
subscriptions, I try and avoid purchasing content as much as possible.  Not
because it's bad, but because I have a Linux laptop that I would like to
watch the content on.

But the Apple TV is a very appealing solution, especially if you have a
bunch of other Apple products and I hear it has very high spousal approval.