> maccrawj wrote:
> Any *nix based appliance router is going to have the same features &
> capabilities assuming:
>
> 1. Software exists
> 2. sufficient RAM & ROM
> 3. powerful enough CPU
>
> What's made the linksys 54's and similar hardware from other vendors so
> popular that they have enough of all 3 for home or soho bandwidth levels.

Well, you covered your a** pretty good here ;) so I'll only say that it's a
matter of compiling/compilation, which features are present or not.

Besides that, I want a well working firewall, HTTP proxy with filtering
options, and Snort IDS on both Red and Green, which I don't believe a Linksys
x54 router offer.

But true, the linky is a nice device. Though, I suspect that the 54's are vulnerable to kernel injection. In plain English this means injection of whatever you can imagine, and then some. It takes a reset (and a complete reconfiguration) to beat the consequences of a kernel injection.

However, what I'm looking for is a *noiseless* platform that can run firewall, proxy, and two instances of Snort (IDS) at the same time. I am running this as we speak, but the noise is too much. That's why I'm wondering if one of the new 'webtops' could run this or not. The current system is an AMD K6 400MHz w/256 MB RAM, and it's running smoothly. But what happens if I decide to go for one of the 'webtops' and insert a couple of USB NIC's???

At the moment I'm running IPcop (ipcop.org), which is somewhat nice, but it
also seems vulnerable to kernel injection.

Brian Weeden wrote:
If you are looking for a complete firewall, spam, malware solution check out
Astaro's Security gateway.  They sell it as a hardware box for commercial
users but it's available for free as either a VMware appliance or a bootable
Linux Live type ISO that can be put on any old grey box:

http://www.astaro.com/our_products/astaro_security_gateway

Yeah, I know Astaro, and I both like the features and the UI very much.

But, unfortunately, Astaro wants to keep track of its users through registration data, so this is a no-go for me. I just don't like nor trust companies that wants to brand their users on the forehead ;)

Despite being one of the most lawfull persons on this very planet, these days it seems hard to find a firewall/proxy that doesn't phone home, or have 'nice' eavesdropping 'features' built in from scratch - even in the Open Source community, shame, shame, shame. We're not all te**o*ists. I nail them, as I find them, period.

Right now I'm thinking of running either m0n0wall or PfSense directly from
CD-ROM due to *nix kernel injection issues.
Just in case if anyone shouldn't know what kernel injections are: In most cases it's your ISP injecting a tracking proggie into your_browser.exe or your O/S kernel. Nice. I once caught my ISP redhanded. That's no ISP no more ;)

On other occations, it's either a hacker or an unknown intelligence service
that wants to eavesdrop on your IT communication.

Quite a nice scenario, as one not any longer knows if one is protecting one's
system from te**o*ist abuse/relay, or from investigating authorities. Bummer.

The only PC firewall that was able to do that kind of detection was bought up
by Symantec. And since then, they proudly removed this very feature.

Anyhow, not that I believe Astaro would be overkill for my home office, no way.
Only I don't feel comfortable with the hardwiring of registration data to
MAC/IP data.

I hope my straight talk about this subject is OK, as this list usually is about drilling right to the core of the problem. And please beware that the fancypants at lists_insecure_org probably not yet are aware of the described vulnerabilities. If any of there is, they're just pathetic :D

Anyway, with e.g. PfSense, I could fall back to use my Asus T2P4 w/64MB RAM again (which has been spinning since 1995!, and only got 'archived' a few weeks ago due to Snort memory issues).

Anyone have experience running m0n0wall/PfSense?

Thanks.

Best,
Soren

----