At 17:37 02/02/09, DHSinclair wrote:
Have what seems to be a small problem.
WXPproXP3......
Was an Upgrade from W2KproSP4.....
Otherwise works superb!
But,
Can Not boot to Safe Mode...........Hangs at "mup.sys".

Do have reading for this, but, am wondering if there may be something else going on?
My network connection pointer in the CP is at #2.
In the past, I have found that #1 was never totally ripped out............ :) I do not recall how to fully erase net connections, if this is what is going on...........

I have sat for 40+ minutes waiting, at the blue (Windows is Starting) screen trying to do a Restore Install. Not yet.....

I really do NOT wish to erase/reformat my C: partition; UNLESS the Collective convinces me this is the ONLY way. Hmmm. Perhaps Windows CAN NOT really be Upgraded? Sure looks like it at the moment.

This is NOT a call to Resurrect. I am not Down. WXP is fully running (and I remain totally confused!)
If this is a "boot.ini" file trouble, I can read/correct. (?)
If this is a "mbr" partition error, I can read/correct. (?)
Where to start? Ideas? Suggestions? Opinions (except Vista) welcome?

Hi Duncan

You mentioned that you changed motherboards (presumably without doing a clean reinstall of Windows 2K or XP). This is something that I've done a few times while running one Win2k installation and I've run into a problem similar to yours.

With XP running normally, check to see how large (the single file) SYSTEM is. Problems like yours can occur if this file (no file extension, its name is just "system", without the quotes of course) gets too large. Why would it get too large? Because Windows XP and 2K don't remove hardware information from the registry when you physically remove hardware devices from your box. By the way, SYSTEM is usually in the folder "C:\WINNT\system32\config" or "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config").

"SYSTEM" is the file that holds the part of the registry with all the hardware information (past and present). If SYSTEM approaches 10 MB in size (in Win2k, not sure the actual number in WinXP), Windows will not boot fully because it doesn't allocate enough memory for all the files needed in memory during the boot process for all the files that need to go into memory during boot. It doesn't matter how much RAM you have, it's just the way Microsoft handles things. I've lost the Microsoft Knowledge Base article that described all this, or I'd give you a copy or a URL for it.

So if SYSTEM gets near 10 MB, Windows will think the registry is corrupt and will refuse to boot fully. You can shrink the size of SYSTEM by using ADD-REMOVE HARDWARE in Control Panel (or wherever it is in WinXP) to remove all "ghost" hardware. By ghost, I mean hardware that was once in the system but has been physically removed from the system but not from the registry. Windows "hides" this stuff in Device Driver and ADD-REMOVE HARDWARE. It might take an hour or two to remove all the hardware from previous motherboards, previously removed disk drives, USB devices, etc. When my Windows periodically failed to boot, I shrunk the SYSTEM file from 9.8 MB to 4.4 MB and the problem has never returned.

I do recall that this problem occurs in both Win2k and WinXP. Maybe it's not your problem...but why not just check the size of your SYSTEM file and see if maybe it's too large.

When I had this problem, I found over a hundred "hidden" disc drives in ADD-REMOVE HARDWARE, as well as dozens of hidden copies of every hardware device that you'd normally see once in Device Manager or ADD-REMOVE HARDWARE. If you deed to, you can get a copy of the free "VERITAS Volume Manager 4.2" to remove more stuff from SYSTEM due to old disc drives. Let me know.

Regards,
Bill