From: hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com
[mailto:hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of Christopher Fisk
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 10:46 AM
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] [H] Which 1TB(ish) drive to use in RAID-1 setup?

I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive, quiet and cool to put
into my system to take over for a 250GB and 350GB drive I have that aren't
in raid.

I'm thinking 2x 1TB drives and setting them up as RAID-1.

It's going into my system which has 4 drives relatively close together.

The WD Caviar I was looking at for $104 at newegg has some feature called
deep recovery cycle which causes it to drop out of raid.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1397
&p_created=1131638613

I'd prefer to pay as close to $200 as possible for the 2 drives, but if I
can't get anything that low or any quality for that low of a price, I'm
willing to go higher.

What do you guys recommend now for drives?

I've got a pair of seagate 7200.11 750GB drives in this computer, I
suppose I could go with another pair of those, I've been happy with them
but they aren't super fast or quiet.

Christopher Fisk
--
BOFH Excuse #205:
Quantum dynamics are affecting the transistors

believed to be clean.