And keep in mind that while the VPN tunnel is encrypted, once the data
leaves the tunnel it's back to what it was before.  So something like email
over http is now back to being unencrypted cleartext once it hits your home
machine, leaves the tunnel and goes out onto the internet, while https
connections are still encrypted to their endpoint even when they leave the
tunnel.

I use a service called SwissVPN which goes one step further for a few bucks
a month.  It gives me a VPN from my computer back to their network in
Switzerland and from there the packets are dumped onto the internet and you
appear to be surfing from Switzerland.  Works great when I'm travelling.

And as the previous poster mentioned, just because you have a VPN up and
running it does not mean you can't be hacked. All it means is that your data
is encrypted.  Anyone can still try and get into your machine, so the
standard rules of having either a NAT router and/or a firewall up and
running apply.

Brian Weeden
Technical Advisor
Secure World Foundation <http://www.secureworldfoundation.org>