One of the things I noticed right away when I moved back to the east coast
(Montreal) after spending almost a decade out west (Montana, Colorado,
California) is just how bad trees are for stable power.  We've lost power at
least a half dozen times due to trees, sometimes for a few days at a
stretch.  So having a couple UPS's around is really a must.

I have one UPS in the house right now and it's located in the A/V rack of
the home theater.  The logic behind this is that I can put not only the HTPC
on it but also the cable modem and router.  That way when the power is out
the HTPC will safely shut down and the internet will still work for a long
time.  It's an older model APC I got used. Works fine, only really annoying
bit is that it beeps once every few seconds for as long as the power is out,
which after a day or so gets really annoying.

For sizing, I would take the machines you have attached and figure out how
much current they draw on average.  You should then be able to do a rough
calculation of how much usage you can get out of a certain amp-hour rating.
But really, most home UPS's should only be lasting just long enough to save
your work and shut down safely.

I will be getting another for my main PC which is in another room, primarily
just to make sure I can save my work and it can shutdown safely.  But with
running Windows on all my machines I've never really had a problem where a
sudden loss of power caused something to get really screwed up.

----
Brian