To: <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: [H] Odd problem with hard drive

At 03:03 PM 1/13/2010, Tim Lider wrote:
Is the computer you cloned it from able to access the data on the computer?
If so, then it could be the dell does not recognize the 160GB hard drive
correctly. I have seen this many times on Legacy machines that do not have
LBA32 or higher drive mapping.

This is a fairly recent computer so it should be able to see larger drives. And when I move the hard drive back from the Dell to the cloning system, the BIOS on the cloning system also states that the drive is 98.5GB. Western Digital morons told that Acronis had "cloned the size of the drive from the source drive" but of course that's a load of crap, and when I rebooted after cloning, the drive reported its size normally. So for some reason, installing the drive in the Dell overwrites the firmware in the drive and sets the size to 98.5GB. I've yet to find a way to flash the firmware on the WD drive.

Also, were there any bad sectors on the drive during the clone? If so, this
is probably why the drive is BSOD'ing.

There were, but Acronis copied without complaint.