Its not that Time Warner came up with the solution, its that the FCC
forced CableLabs to have a solution avalible.

The problem with tunning adaptors is they don't always work, partially
because its not that reliable in how it communicates to the head end
but also because they tell the headend if its a automated recording
which means the headend doesn't have to honor the request.

Tivo would rather have a tcp upstream communication
http://www.scribd.com/doc/24455769/Tivo-s-Response-to-FCC-National-Broadband-Plan