My answer was too concrete. (And tongue in cheek.)
Here is a second opinion:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collecting>

Rick Glazier

From: "Scoobydo"
I think there may be 2 kinds of collectors. Those who leave the seals in tact as a future investment hoping the price will climb over time and those of us who like to repeat watch movies. Having a 1000 plus movies on disk seems to qualify as a collection..

From: "Anthony Q. Martin"
clipped
Does nearly 1000 discs make me a collector? :) I don't really consider myself a collector, though.

Rick Glazier wrote:
IF you have watched them all, you are just a saver...
A collector would not break the seals on the cases...

Rick Glazier