From: Joshua MacCraw <maccr...@gmail.com>
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Sent: Wed, August 11, 2010 12:49:52 PM
Subject: [H] DIY JOBD NAS/Mediaserver

How much horsepower do you figure is needed to serve up a few (4 max likely)
video streams of data? Looking at resurrecting my old A7N8X PC as a linux
NAS/mediaserver to serve up media files (MKV, VOB, MP3, FLAC) over my wired
network.

It has the XP-M CPU overclocked (3200?), 1GB RAM, & dual 100Mb Ethernet. It
seems a shame to let it collect dust and NAS/media server solutions seem to be
so expensive!

I won't be doing transcoding but might want to be able to transmux for the PS3
which may or may not be aided by the ATI X850 in the box. There's only 2 SATA
ports but I'm thinking I can easily get an inexpensive card, RAID or not, to
support 3-6 drives I'll move over from my workstation.

2 services come to mind: SAMBA & some DNLA server like PS3MediaServer,
TVersity,
or Myth. Assume I can run all that under Ubuntu or something with this low end
hardware? Cheap 8 bay case, 350-500W PSU, RAID card, maybe 2GB DDR RAM still
got
to be way cheaper than a media server, no?