Hi,

On 9/13/10 7:42 AM, DSinc wrote:
> I do not use the Signature logic in Thunderbird. My older Brother just
> switched from Eudora to Thunderbird.  His conversion is somewhat
> frustrating.  He does use Signatures.
>
> He and I have noticed that when TB stitches a Sig to an email there is
> always a line with a double-dash (--) either preceding the Sig, or,
> the double-dash gets embedded as the first 2 characters of the Sig.
>
> Is this normal behavior in Thunderbird?

Yes,

Double dash or -- above the sig has been a standard for a very long time.

It permits people to to automatically drop the signature, especially the
very long annoying ones

---- From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signature_block  ------

The formatting of the sig block is prescribed somewhat more firmly: it
should be displayed as plain text
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plain_text> in a fixed-width font (no HTML
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML>, images, or other rich text
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Text_Format>), and must be delimited
from the body of the message by a single line consisting of exactly two
hyphens, followed by a space, followed by the end of line (i.e., "--
\n").^[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signature_block#cite_note-0>
This latter prescription, which goes by many names, including "sig
dashes", "signature cut line", "sig-marker", and "sig separator", allows
software to automatically mark or remove the sig block as the receiver
desires. The signature prefix chosen can be different for different
people serving as a distinguishing feature of their signatures. A
correct delimiter is required for a news posting program to receive the
Good Netkeeping Seal of Approval
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Netkeeping_Seal_of_Approval>.

                                    Harry