We're renting our house, so instead of running a wired LAN I use Powerline for
routing video within my house, saving the wifi for everything else.  You need a
Powerline adapter for each device you want on the network.  In my case, I
started with the downstairs TV which is where my main HTPC and the Fios router
are.  I put one adapter the and plugged it into a LAN port on my router.  I
then plugged another adapter into the outlet near the upstairs TV (and HTPC)
and a third near my desktop computer.  Everything is now on the same network,
since the Fios router handles the wifi and is the DHCP server.

Speeds depend on the distance, the quality of the electrical wiring, and how
many devices are on the same circuit.  I'm using the Netgear 500 stuff and I
get fast enough speeds to steam 1080p BluRay, which makes me happy.

-------
Brian Weeden
Secure World Foundation
+1 202 683-8534