If  you're using one of the more popular email services (Gmail, Yahoo, etc)
or an Exchange account, the iPad setup pretty much takes care of that:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4810

Otherwise, you can follow this guide to manually setup either a POP or IMAP
account:
https://support.exabytes.com/KB/a2819/how-to-setup-pop3-email-account-in-ipad.aspx

Like with any email system, if you don't delete emails they have to reside
somewhere.

---------
Brian