I ended up going with flexraid. So far, very happy with it. 18tb avail in one
array and 26tb in the other.  All good so far.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Bryan Seitz" <se...@bsd-unix.net>
Sent: ‎7/‎7/‎2013 6:45 PM
To: "hardw...@lists.hardwaregroup.com" <hardw...@lists.hardwaregroup.com>
Subject: Re: [H] Nas 3.0

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 05:14:00AM -0700, Tim Lider wrote:
> I have not done a project like that . When I price out a NAS project it is
> actually less expensive (when you think of equipment and time) to get one
> premade. The NAS' we use are WD's right now. The boss also does not like to
> have
> the TB size of the NAS' too large, I limit the size to around 8TB to 12TB.
>
> If you do make a NAS with NAS4Free, I have looked into it, remember it is a
> software RAID not a Hardware RAID.  What do I mean by that? Software RAID's
> are
> basically made using a Volume Manager (usually Linux VLM or VLM2), hardware
> RAID's are actually considered a 1 physical disk to the PC when managing the
> Volume(s) at the operating system level.
>
> I myself prefer hardware RAID setups. This is due to the ease of replacing
> disks
> if needed. Also, Hardware RAID's are a bit easier to recover when things go
> bad.
>
> Have a great weekend all,

Anything using ZFS makes replacements quite easy to be honest.   Also with ZFS
my
disks can be on any controller I can dig up...onboard, addin card, etc....
With
hardware raid if your controller eats it you have to find the same card / family
to import your config.  Personally I would not use anything BUT zfs right now
as
far as mass storage goes.  For OS disks I still prefer hardware raid.

--

Bryan G. Seitz