With all the snow hitting CT today, I took a vacation day, we probably got close to 10".

Anyways, my music computer refused to start initially yesterday, but then it started. Today, no go. It's a Gigabyte P45 board with an E8500 that served me well for quite a few years. So I started to troubleshoot it. The initial ideas that came to mind were: Bad On button, bad power supply, bad line cord. The line cord checked out okay, so I went right to the main power connector to check the +5V standby. It read 2.5V. I pulled the plug and the voltage now read 5.18V. Since it could still be a failing power supply (under load), I grabbed a 400W Seasonic that I had lying around and plugged it in. The Standby voltage was 3.8V now, but it was dropping. It attempted to start, but basically would spin up, die, spin up, rinse, repeat. That was the same behavior that has periodically plagued this system for a number of years. So I'm guessing that whatever was going bad has finally completely gone bad.

So, did I miss anything here? Looks like new MB time. Of course it has occurred to me that this is also the behavior I'd get from a bad cap. The problem with taking caps off MBs is that it takes so much heat since there's lots of ground plane.

Steve