In our family we don't really care about extra features or stuff. We have
two small kids, so having all their movies and TV shows on demand is a big
bonus.

What I like about XBMC is that it keeps an entire library of movies and tv
shows up to date, can be sorted by genre or whatever, and can be driven
from the same remote control we use for the TV. Very wife/kid friendly. It
also supports AirPlay so you can push iPad/iOS content to it.

Downside is that the integration with browser-based streaming services like
Netflix still needs work but it's there.

---------
Brian