I know there is no such thing as a stupid question, so I hope you will be
gentle. :)

I have a good background in desktop computers, but little in server
technology. I have tried googling for an answer, but my lack of technical
understanding is  getting in the way of finding an answer. So, this is the
question: Can server technology be used to access multiple computers with
multiple disk drives in such a way that the actual location of the file is
transparent to the user/client machine? For instance, let's say you have
four "server" computers in a "cluster" (?) (A, B, C, and D) set up with four
disks each (1, 2, 3, and 4) for a total of 16 disk drives. Can a user then
request the file xyz.doc from the server and have it automatically retrieve
the file from say computer A, drive 2?

Thanks for your help with this question.

Jim Maki
jwm_maill...@comcast.net