Defrag the drive and look to see if any data is way out near the end.

Your right... it is a few unmovable files at the end of the drive that is causing the problem I discovered that initially..the unmovable pagefile was there at the end so I turned the page file off and rebooted. But then something else got put at the end that I can't identify. How do I get it from putting unmoveable stuff at the end of the drive and why can't any partition manager move the files.

Second, use an Ubuntu live CD, and use Gparted to do the shrink.

I googled this problem earlier and found a lot of users with apple products complaining of this... and many of them did try Gparted but that didn't work either.

Is this something HP does? How do you get rid of the unmovable files. I have been working with partitions for a couple of decades and have never come across this.
Thanks for the help Harry.

-Harry