Strangely enough, the 6950X actually puts in similar gaming performance to
a 6700K despite the 1Ghz clock delta between them.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1730?vs=1543

At least in part I'd wager it's the much much larger L3 cache (25MB) on the
6950X making itself known and dragging lesser-threaded gaming workloads
into performance contention.

We see something similar without all the extra cores on the Broadwell 5775C
desktop SKU, 3.3Ghz clock (-700Mhz to 6700K), 6MB L3 (8MB on 6700K) and a
128MB EDRAM L4 cache@50GB/s

Thing actually blows past the Skylake part for gaming workloads in a lot of
cases, especially in things relating to minimum framerate.

Pertinent Anandtech Bench link:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1501?vs=1543

Makes me think my 6700K might get swapped out for a KabyLake if there's an
Edram equipped SKU for S1151, all else being equal. (unless Zen is a
straight up beast, because that could tempt me.)

-JB