I had that happen frequently on one computer and eventually found a fix script
that I would run then reboot and would all be fixed. I think it was related to
corruption of the icon cache or something similar.
lopaka

      From: Thane Sherrington <th...@computerconnectionltd.com>
 To: "hardw...@lists.hardwaregroup.com" <hardw...@lists.hardwaregroup.com>
 Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2016 10:36 AM
 Subject: [H] Odd Windows 7 problem

I've run into this a few times, and each time I've been forced to do a
repair install to fix it.  This time, repair install isn't working, so
I'm digging deeper.

Here's the problem.  On Windows 7 Home and Pro systems, occasionally
they will boot up to a desktop with no icons, but the icon labels are
visible.

When I click the start button, it depresses, but the Start Menu doesn't
appear.  I can open Task Manager by right clicking the Start Menu or by
using Ctrl-Shift-Esc and then I can open a command prompt.  I can open
Control Panel from the command prompt, but all the icons are missing
(although the labels are visible) and I can use the search box to open
Control Panel applets.

Here's what I've tried so far:

1)Repair install/Inplace Upgrade from the DVD.  This works for the first
reboot, but after a few reboots, the problem returns.

2)System Restore - I've gone back to a known good restore point, but the
problem remains (so no icons when System Restore reboots).

3)SFC /scannow - says it has made changes, but no icons on reboot.

4)Created a new user profile - no change in that profile.

5)Boot to safe mode - no change.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Out of interest, I think the
problem may be related to Visual C++ 2013 redistributable, since on this
computer, it installed just before the problem started.  I tried
repairing it, but there was no change.  I'm running another SFC before I
remove Visual C++ 2013 redistributable.