I too, was on the WP platform. Lumia 920 VZW. Loved it but just never had the apps I needed or wanted for other devices - Cameras, gadgets, etc. It's to bad because I really liked everything else.

So I went with the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. this doesn't blow up or melt down. The Non-edge model is nice as well but the deal they offered me made sense to take the edge. I like it a lot. Nice to have app freedom. As for the edge, the main thing I like about it is the 'Apps Edge' it's a little tab that you can swing out & holds a bunch of different things from frequently used tasks, contacts, & apps (which I use the most). There are also things like a compass, news & sports things, etc. I hadn't been a fan of Samsung for years (their monitor class action really soured me - I was compensated but nothing like we should have been) but I couldn't deny the researching I had done on phones. I would have went for a more pure Google phone but with VZW or now, AT&T - it wasn't an option. This phone is water proof/resistant & durable. Has 64 on board and u can expand it with a 128GB card (last I knew, could be more now). Updates always go well. No slow downs on videos, games, etc. I have no regrets with this phone. However, I am very cautious with apps. If it's not well reviewed by 1K+ reviewers & been out awhile - I look for something else. I bet there are a thousand apps that do the same thing one way or another. Coming from the WP it's like fresh air.