I've got a laptop that started giving the dread "inaccessible boot device" message in Windows 10.

I've had this before, and normally I boot to the recovery environment and then:

Rename the current BCD and rebuild it with

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

But this time, I get "access denied" when I do the bootrec /fixboot - all the other commands succeed and it rebuilds the BCD, but still no boot.  So I'm convinced it's the fixboot part that isn't working.  However, I can't find any links in Google that would point in in the right direction.

Any ideas?