Still no joy.  My next step may be to take a clean drive and try installing to that.  If that fails then it would have to be a hardware problem.

On 12/23/2017 1:56 PM, Winterlight wrote:
I had the same problem because I was/am using a RAM Disk assigned to drive B. Change the letter of the RAM Disk from B to Z and problem solved, You might want to disable the RAM DISK until you do the update

At 10:27 AM 12/23/2017, you wrote:
Do you use the ASUS RAMDisk software they tout on their page (or even have it installed)? I have had problems updating Windows getting the same error code back with Imdisk (a freeware ramdisk) as my B: drive, though it doesn't interfere when it's a Z: drive. If so I'd suggest uninstalling it and try again. If not, try removing any ASUS drivers / software and see if that helps.

I discovered it by doing a clean install and found I broke updates again after installing the software and tools I usually use. You could  do the same - do a clean install onto a separate disk and verify Windows updates successfully, then start installing the software and drivers from your current system. From a USB key it's not too bad to do the Windows install now, the software and drivers is definitely the painful part.

I'd be surprised if there's actually a hardware incompatibility - it's possible but unlikely on hardware this recent.

On 2017-12-23 9:43 AM, Steve Tomporowski wrote:
Thane,

Thanks, but been that route already.  Tried from ISO both with normal system startup and from a 'clean boot'.

Thanks...Steve

On 12/23/2017 11:32 AM, Thane K. Sherrington wrote:
I'd try downloading the Media Creation Tool. https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

And do an inplace upgrade.

Tn 23/12/2017 12:13 PM, Steve Tomporowski wrote:

Bottom line:  Win10 keeps trying to update to the Creators Update (not the Fall Creators Update, I'm way behind!) and fails each time. The error given is 0x8007001f. Tried just about everything the past two weeks. Yesterday spent four hours on the phone with Microsoft with no progress.  The thought occurs that there might be a hardware incompatibility. The MB is an ASUS Maximus VII Hero.  BIOS is updated, although the latest one is back in March. Drivers updated but the drivers are all 2016 for latest.  Went through the drill with clean boot and direct update from an ISO, same failure, same error.  With the DAW and audio setup I have a few hundred thousand files to install, so I'd like to avoid a clean install if I can.  On the compatibility issue, I can't get a straight answer from ASUS, nor is there consistent info on the website.  So does anyone have any experience or heard of anything with the Creators Update and the ASUS Maximus VII Hero?  Still looking here....

Thanks...Steve

--
Jamie Furtner ja...@furtner.ca