should a Access Point use the primary wifi SSID name but with a different IP...or should it use a different SSID name?

At 02:36 PM 7/12/2018, you wrote:
At 01:08 PM 7/12/2018, you wrote:
Your method would work.  I suggest checking to see if the router supports
DD-WRT and installing a version of that.

I checked at https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/ and my TEW-639GR isn't listed... so that is that.

Thanks Chris.

 It will generally allow you to
put in AP only mode even if the original version didn't have that option.