> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
This thread was a long read :)

First, I'm all for using Jetty as our test server (I think we talked about this a long time ago...). We could even use Tomcat, but my experience in the past was that Jetty was very easy to emebed. By default, there should be no external dependency to build, test and run Harmony (i.e. I can do it on a plane - that means that no external server is required.)

+1. There are so many net-related tests laying in the exclude-list, Jetty really helps.

Second, I think that we don't lose much in terms of flexibility, and gain an awful lot in functionality. Writing tests is very easy, and we probably can control anything we want to for custom stuff.

Third, we get location transparency. Our isolated-system-default notwithstanding, we certainly want to test over a network (localhost doesn't cut it), so we should easily be able to run the ant target that runs the server on a remote machine so we can test things like real network failure and interruption (IOW, reach around and pull the network cable out...), setting a property or -ish for the address of the test target server (default is localhost)

Given that the argument is long and winding, can people do a checkpoint summary about how they are feeling?

geir