From: Phyllis Simon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2003 11:14 AM
Subject: Macmillan letter

Dear Ms. Price:

I am the co-owner of Canadas largest and most successful childrens
bookstore called Kidsbooks.  Part of what has made us thrive is our
commitment to promoting excellence in literature, and in bringing to our
customersattentions books they might not otherwise encounter.

During twenty years of business I have actively promoted many Macmillan
titles, including those written by Elizabeth Laird.  In fact, in my opinion
her recent book The Garbage King is an outstanding novel that I have
presented at several teachersevents as one of the best books of the year.

However, when the HB Fenn representative showed me the advance flyer for A
Little Piece of Ground written by Elizabeth Laird in conjunction with a
Palestinian writer, alarm bells sounded in my head almost immediately.  Why
was I concerned?  I worried that the book might be decidedly one-sided,
given the author collaboration and the hype in the flyer (Macmillans
decision to rush publication, the endorsement by Childrens Laureate Michael
Morpurgo, and the ludicrous comment by the book editor).

I therefore asked for an advance reading copy before I placed my order.

I hoped Id not feel the need to take it one step further, and question the
wisdom of it being published altogether.  After reading the book, I find
the situation is actually much worse than I had imagined it might be, and I
am left with a profound sense of shock and disgust at the irresponsible
decision to publish what I feel is a racist, inflammatory and totally
one-sided piece of propaganda at a time when efforts are being made to
resolve this conflict.  In fact, I am certain that neither Macmillan nor
any other childrens publisher in the democratic world would ever agree to
release a similar diatribe demonizing the Palestinians as this book
vilifies the Israelis.

What is incomprehensible to me is that there is not even one mildly
positive portrait of an Israeli in the entire book; the characters refer to
suicide bombings, in which, need I remind you, children and innocent people
are blown up, as bombing operations; in one scene, the protagonists father
burns the Israeli flag to ashes while in contrast the Palestinian flag is
used as the rallying point for the children in the story.  Israeli tanks
even kill a kitten, for Gods sake!!  And these are just a few of the many
obvious examples of single-sided misrepresentations of this extremely
complex issue.

If this were a book for adults, I would say it could be biased, unfair,
whatever.  In that case, the book would have to stand up to the scrutiny of
reviewers and mature readers.  A Little Piece of Ground, however, is for
children, the overwhelming number of whom clearly havent a clue about this
conflict, and thus depend on books like this for the opinions they form
about what goes on in the Middle East.  I can only imagine what they think
after reading this blatant piece of hate-fomenting propaganda.

Although it is fashionable these days to excoriate the Israelis whilst
championing the cause of the Palestinians, there surely is no doubt that
there are many Israelis and Palestinians who work together and who respect
each other.  Yet, these authors purposely chose not to include a single
such peace-seeking character, not even a hint that such people exist, in
this book.  You must ask yourself what agenda they have in choosing to
paint so unbalanced a picture for children.  And what role does Macmillan
end up playing in backing this totally misguided endeavor?

I urge you in the strongest possible terms to take a second look at A
Little Piece of Ground before you take the irreversible step of releasing
such a damaging book.

Sincerely yours,

Phyllis Simon

Co-Owner, Kidsbooks

Vancouver, Canada

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Questions, problems, complaints, compliments;-) send to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AJL HomePage                  http://www.JewishLibraries.org