Shalom safranim/ safraniot,

Does any of you have information about the Shainberg Library Foundation
book series for children [in Hebrew], edited by Dr. Irvin Agus in the
mid-1940s? The book series was published in Memphis, Tenn., where Dr. Agus
(Jacob Agus s brother) served as educational director (1939-45) , according
to Encyclopedia Judaica. Agus s name is not mentioned in Selma S. Lewis s A
Biblical People in the Bible Belt: the Jewish Community of Memphis,
Tennessee, 1840s-1960 (Mercer University Press, 1998).

I started this research after receiving a beautiful copy of Ashmedai Melekh
Ha-shedim (Ashmedai, King of the Demons, 1945; 2nd book of the 2nd series),
based on the well-known Talmudic aggadah about Asmedeus and King Salomon
(Git. 68a-b). The text was adapted to children by Agus and Daniel Persky, a
Hebrew enthusiastic who was involved with children s Hebrew periodicals,
and illustrated by R euven Lif. Since the book was written in the intention
of teaching Hebrew, two dictionaries are included in it; one for the easy
words and one for the difficult words . There are four more books in this
series, titled (in translation): Deborah/ The Boy Judge; Ashmedai s
Revenge; Judith; The Princess of Aram. According to the editor note,
another series was planned, for younger readers.

As far as I know, not too many fiction books for young readers (2-4
grades), centered around non-biblical themes and/or clear Jewish values,
were published outside of Israel in Hebrew. Am I right?

Thanks very much,

Rachel Leket-Mor
Jewish Studies Bibliographer
Collection Development Division
Arizona State University Libraries
Tempe, AZ 85287-1006
Phone: (480) 965-2618
Fax:     (480) 965-9127

HaSafran - The Electronic Forum of the Association of Jewish Libraries

Submissions for HaSafran, send to: Hasafran at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to: Listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Questions, problems, complaints, compliments;-) send to: galron.1 at osu.edu
AJL HomePage http://www.JewishLibraries.org/