We had a few interesting interfaith titles submitted to the Sydney Taylor 
committee last year.  I really like the chapter book Sam I Am by Ilene 
Cooper. I thought it did an excellent job of exploring issues of religion 
and identity and was an entertaining read too.  A book with a controversial 
title but with its heart in the right place was Kaddish for Grandpa in 
Jesus' Name, Amen by James Howe.  In this rather bibliotherapeutic story, a 
Jewish child whose father is a Jew-by-choice mourns for her non-Jewish 
grandfather and attends his Christian funeral.

A few less recent titles would be My Two Grandmothers by Effin Older, and 
Light the Lights by Margaret Moorman (about celebrating both Hanukkah and 
Christmas).

Heidi Estrin
Sydney Taylor Book Award Committee Chair



Messages and opinions expressed on Hasafran are those of the individual author
and are not necessarily endorsed by the AJL
===========================================================
Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to:      Hasafran @ lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to:   Listproc @ lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Questions, problems, complaints, compliments;-) send to:  galron.1 @ osu.edu
Ha-Safran Archives:
http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran%40lists.acs.ohio-state.edu/maillist.html
AJL HomePage                  http://www.JewishLibraries.org 

Reply via email to