SB posted (in part)
=============================
My English translation [Jerusalem Talmud] reads
"The words of the Torah should be burnt rather than be taught to women."
=============================

Before proceeding further, let me make four comments.

1. We are not Biblical literalists, nor are we Talmudic literalists. The
Mishnah and the Gemara are full of contentious arguments among the g'dolei
ha'dor (great ones of the generation), among whom I do NOT number myself.
Therefore, one argument does not make a halakhah.

2. It is helpful to look at the Mishnah on Sotah to understand what the
Talmud is describing. As it happens, my chevruta buddy and I are in the
middle of studying Sotah on the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism Daf
Yomit listserv (http://uscj.org/archives/MISHNAHYOMIT.html) and hope to
finish the Mishnah by 2012.

3. Context is everything. On this issue, see the appended note, and never
cite a line out of context.

4. While the Jerusalem Talmud is very important -- and we have Jacob Neusner
to thank for brilliant scholarship in this neglected area -- the simple fact
of the matter is that the Babylonian Talmud is preeminent.

That translation of the two adjacent Mishnah verses reads (UCSJ):

===============================
Section/Mishnah  3) Hence Ben Azzai said: a person must teach his daughter
Torah, so that if she has to drink [the water of bitterness], she should
know that the merit suspends its effect.
Section/Mishnah 4) Rabbi Eliezer says: whoever teaches his daughter Torah
teaches her lasciviousness.
===============================

What does this mean? First of all, Jacob Neusner in  his magisterial THE
MISHNAH: A NEW TRANSLATION "Whoever teaches Torah to his daughter is as if
he teaches her sexual satisfaction."

The older Blackman translation renders this, "If any man teach his daughter
Law, it is though he taught her lewdness."

The ArtScroll translates it this way: "Whoever teaches his daughter Torah,
it is as though he teaches her sensuality." BUT HERE IS THE KEY: the
preceding verse (see also Section/Mishnah 3 from UCSJ above) reads, "...Ben
Azzai says: A man should teach his daughter Torah, so that if she ever
drinks {the bitter waters of the Sotah test}  she will realize that merit
can hold her [punishment] in abeyance.

So what is this all about? First of all, this discussion immediately follows
a detailed description of the Sotah ritual on ArtScroll pp. 56-57. {Note
that the ritual described differs from Torah to Mishnah to Rambam.}
Therefore, we are at the absolutely critical point of testing the woman
accused of adultery. The Rabbis argued that knowing Torah could delay the
effects of the "bitter waters" EVEN IF THE WOMAN WERE GUILTY. There is a
prolonged discussion as to how long the effect could be delayed.

Having said that, I cannot help but read the cited passage as saying that
the Rabbis were terrified that teaching Torah etc. to a woman would lead her
to think -- erroneously -- that knowing Torah would be like a "Get out of
jail free" Monopoly card. THEY WERE NOT MAKING A BLANKET ATTACK ON THE
PRINCIPLE OF TEACHING TORAH TO WOMEN. To substantiate that position, let me
quote from the Art Scroll's citation of the Chofetz Chaim on this issue (P.
58):

..."It seems to me that this [law] applied only in earlier times when
everyone lived in the place of his forefathers and the tradition of the
parents held sway over everyone to conduct himself in the manner of his
parents....{scripture quote Deut. 32:7}...In such a situation, we could say
that [a woman] should not study Torah and that she should rely instead on
the example of her upright forefathers. But now, as a result of our abundant
iniquities, when the tradition of parents is exceedingly weakened and it is
prevalent that one does live in the locale of his parents at all -- and this
applies especially to those who are accustomed to study in the script and
the language of the gentiles -- it is certainly a  great mitzvah to teach
them Chumash, as well as Neviim and Kesuvim, and the ethical teachings of
our Sages, such as the tractate Avos and the work of Menoras HaMaor, and so
on. Thus our faith will become fortified among other women...." See
http://www.torah.org/learning/halashon/ccbio.html and note that he was born
in 1838.

And the UCSJ commentator, Rabbi Siegel, says:

====================================
This mishnah begins by describing what happens immediately after the sotah
drinks the water.

The second half of the mishnah broaches the idea that if the woman has some
type of "merit" the effect that the waters have on her is delayed, even if
she did commit adultery.

Part of this mishnah deals with women studying Torah, an issue which is of
great importance in our society. We should remember that in the past century
great advances were made in providing women with proper education in Torah.
Some of the statements in this mishnah are, to put it mildly, not flattering
to women and do not reflect the society in which we live or women's place in
that society.
====================================

FINALLY, I want to comment on the issue of context. When I studied
Philosophy and Religion with the great teacher and scholar, Paul Schilpp,
(http://www.opencourtbooks.com/categories/llp.htm) at Northwestern half a
century ago, he started a course on Christian Scriptures (specifically, the
Synoptic Gospels) with the following three quotes from KJ:

1. "And Judas went and hanged himself."
2. "Go thou and do likewise."
3. "And what thou doest, do speedily."

         You can dig out the sources yourself from  http://bible.cc/

When the embarrassed laughter died down, he said, quietly, "Never quote text
out of context." He spent the rest of that quarter on critical analysis of
texts and the contexts in which they were written.

We can and should do no less when studying our own texts.

B'shalom

Dr. Don Weinshank Professor Emeritus Comp. Sci. & Eng.
1520 Sherwood Ave., East Lansing MI 48823-1885
Ph. 517.337.1545   FAX 517.337.1665
http://www.cse.msu.edu/~weinshan

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to:      Hasafran @ lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to:   Listproc @ lists.acs.ohio-state.edu