Chanukah trivial?

Donald Weinshank wrote:
 > BUT BUT BUT the Rabbis did not include Maccabees in
the canon.
 > They certainly could have done so. The books of
Daniel and
 > Esther are from roughly the same period.

Even though many modern critical scholars may consider
Daniel and Esther to have been written close to the
time of the Maccabees (2nd cent. B.C.E.), the rabbis
considered those books to have been written closer to
the periods they chronicle.  I believe they give the
cessation of prophecy to be in the time of Ezra (about
the 5th cent. B.C.E.), and would not canonize anything
after that period.

The only way Maccabees could have made it in, would be
for it to have been considered some sort of prophecy
written four centuries before the events it describes,
which the book itself does not claim.

-Stanley Nachamie
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to:      Hasafran @ lists.acs.ohio-state.edu