From: "Lenore Bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Gail R Shirazi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 7:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Hasafran] Benjamin of Tudela

Dear Liz,

Gail forwarded your message to me.

I assume that you are asking aboutthe handling of the juvenile book title,
The travels of Benjamin of Tudela :  through three continents in the twelfth
century / Uri Shulevitz. New York : Farrar Straus and Giroux, 2005. (LCCN
2004040434).

Gail appears to have reported on a video title, The travels of Benjamin
Tudela / Bet ha-tefutsot. Israel : Bet ha-tefutsot, [198-?] (LCCN 98501104)

The juvenile work was cataloged by LC's Children's Literature Team, so my
staff on the Hebraica Team did not have a chance to review this item.  You
are correct that LC cataloged this work as one of juvenile fiction.

As your initial question suggests, it is often difficult to determine if
juvenile works should be treated as fiction or non-fiction, since story
lines are often used to present non-fiction topics to a juvenile audience.
LC's Children's Team staff are very experienced, however, at determining the
often fine line between fiction and non-fiction treatment.

In the "Annotated Card" summary, it is noted specifically, "A fictionalized
account of the travels..." If however, you think that fiction treatment is
not accurate in this case, I will be happy to consult the Children's Team
for clarification and/or a reconsideration of the cataloging, if necessary.
Please let me know what you think.

Best wishes,
Lenore

Lenore Bell
Team Leader, Hebraica Team
Regional and Cooperative Cataloging Division
Library of Congress
(202) 707-7313
[EMAIL PROTECTED]