I read the two petitions that were submitted to the LC Cataloging
presidium, and had to chuckle.

Although we pride ourselves that librarians were the first
professionals to embrace computers --
The inventors of Yahoo picked the brains of a few librarians before
launching their mega-million enterprise--
some librarians, especially those who belong to unions, are very
suspicious of any change.

These petitions are classic documents of resistance to change. On the
one hand they advocate the continuation
of authorized series added entries -- providing useful added access -- good!!
  but on the other resist the cataloging of individual titles
in monographic series -- too much work-- bad!!!

Hey, chevraya, wake up, we are in the age of Google! We all know how
do keyword searches!
Forget the card catalog already!

Aviva Astrinsky