It happened this past Saturday in the early a.m. in the center of
Gloucester - a coastal town in northeastern Massachusetts.    One person
died who lived in the apartment building that was destroyed; the temple
was next door, and was also destroyed, along with its torahs.

When I hear from the congregation re: ways they need help, I will post
to hasafran.

Below is news from boston.com from the last few days:

Ann Abrams, Librarian
Temple Israel, Boston

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2007/12/15/fatal_gloucester_fire_destroys_apartment_building_synogogue/

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2007/12/17/gloucester_fire_response_defended/

Scenes, after the fire, including youths sorting through kipot and
tallitot saved from the synagogue :

http://www.boston.com/news/local/gallery/121507_gloucester_fire/