August 19. 2008

Dear Friends,

The Hecht Museum of the University of Haifa has published the Great
Revolt in the Galilee.  A bilingual book (Ha-Mered Ha-Gadol Ba-Galil)
by Ofra Guri-Rimon, editor and curator.  The book is 122 in Hebrew
and 17 pages in English and has articles on the archaeology of
Zipori, comparison between Judea and Galilee at the time of the
revolt against the Romans, which took place between 66-70 CE, and
scholarly analysis of/from Jesephus to Vespian.

This is a scholarly yet accessible and enlightening, softcover museum
catalog that I highly recommend for libraries from research and
reference and all levels of Jewish education.

Cat.no. 67179, $39.00

In Hebrew literature we must mention David Grossman's – "Isha Borahat
me-Besorah" (his translation – Until the End of the Land).  It's had
7 printings since its appearance earlier this year.  Cat.no. 66910 $36.00

Sami Michael's new title - Ayida – will also likely be a modern
Hebrew classic.  This title should not be confused with Verdi's
opera.  Cat.no. 67437 $29.00

In English we have a number of good picks …

Daniel Sperber's Jewish Life Cycle - this new book from Bar Ilan is
dual published with Oxford Univ. Press.  Although it is printed in
Israel.  If you have not heard about this book yet, please google
it.  The isbn is 978-965-226-334-6  Cat.no. 67970 Price - $162.50

Gedalyah Nigal, Emiritus Professor of Jewish Literature, Bar Ilan
University, has had his monumental work, 'the Hassidic Tale,'
published by the Littman Library, isbn 978-1-904113-07-2, Portland
Oregon, 2008.

This is the translation of the work previously published in Hebrew,
which was highly acclaimed. (Cat. #66968) The work would be
worthwhile even if only for it's introduction which describes the
development of Hassidic literature from storytelling, through, beyond
and beside parables, from the 18th  until the early 20th Cent.
(CE).  The largest portion of the introduction includes a summary of
significant Rabbinic texts which incorporate the many Hassidic tales.
This section charts from the 'Shivhei HaBesht,' through the many
important titles, by many Hassidic Rabbis, published in Lemberg. The
later portions list and summarize works of R' Simha Bunim Michelson,
R' Israel Berger, Kleinman, Yudel Rosenberg, including works
published in the early 20th Cent. (prior to WWI)  in Pietrokow.
Finally, the book Hutim Hameshulashim, by R' Avraham Stern (Montreal,
1953) which contains many tales some different versions of stories
previously published is discussed.

The values and archetypes of the Tzadik are examined and the tensions
between Jewish social classes, Hassidim and Misnagdim are all
explored in a comprehensive, scholarly work that will be one of the
significant works of Jewish History and Literature of the 21st Cen. CE.

All this leaves us with a little problem. This is a not an Israeli
publication.  Cat. no. 68107  $78.00

And last, Tzror Hamor by Rabbi Avraham Sabba, Translated and
Annotated by: Eliyahu Munk

Rabbi Avraham Sabba was born in Castile in 1440 and spent the first
50 years of his life in parts of Spain where Jews lived in prosperity
and security. He wrote many books, among them the Torah commentary
Tzror hamor. His genius is evident from the manner in which he
selects hundreds of quotations from the Zohar, the most famous
mystical text, in which he demonstrates that the author of the Zohar
is capable of being understood by the average Jew, (as opposed to
scholars) and that the Zohar is helpful in understanding many
difficult passages in the Torah.

He was forced into exile to Portugal in 1492, and to North Africa in
1497 after not only being persecuted and seeing many members of his
family killed, but he had to rewrite this commentary completely from
memory, as in Fez, Morocco he had no library at his disposal. He died
on board ship on the way to Italy and was buried in Verona in 1510

The translator, Eliyahu Munk, was born in Frankfurt on Main, where he
received his education at the Samson Rafael Hirsch Realschule, and
the Yeshiva of the late Rabbi Joseph Breuer, of blessed memory. He
continued his education at the Yeshiva in Gateshead, England. He
served in Jewish education (primarily as a teacher) for almost 30
years in Toronto, Canada.

5 Vols., Hardcover, Boxed Set, ISBN: 978-965-524-013-9, Publication: 2008
Cat.no. 67530  $166.00.

We have had a couple of Yiddish titles in recent months, if you'd
like more information – just ask.

We are proud that we hae located many important titles on Jewish Life
in Turkestan, Kazakstan, Azerbaijan in Russian by different, leading
scholars who spent years stydying documents in archives in those
countries and Moscow.  For these, please be in touch.

We would like to end with 2 new music cd's – Yasmin Levy on / in
Ladino and Hava Alberstein.

Waiting to hear from you!

B'vracha.  Jeff

Jeff Spitzer
Jerusalem Books Ltd.
POB 26190
Jerusalem, 91261, Israel
(Tel) 972-2-642-6653/6576
(Fax)  972-2-643-3580
www.jerusalembooks.co.il

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]