The Western Regional Conference in Los Angeles was the subject of an
article in Publisher's Weekly. Although the organization wasn't named
directly, the conference garnered very favorable reviews.Here is the
link: http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6634517.html?nid=2788

A wonderful article about the upcoming Northwest Regional Conference
"From Word to Deed" appeared in the JT News. Here is the link :
http://www.jtnews.net/index.php?/news/item/5556/C22/
  The article failed to include the outstanding work of Janet
Heineck, 2010 Co-chair, or the the help of Tessa Bennion who has
produced beautiful publicity, but it does give a full picture of AJL.
Full text of the article is below:
Local News
Book town
Leyna Krow • Assistant Editor, JTNews
E-mail the Editor

"From Word to Deed" takes place Sun., Feb 15, 9 a.m. -  4 p.m. at
Temple Beth Am, 2632 NE 80th St., Seattle. For information and
reservations, contact aj...@earthlink.net.

For Toby Harris, the librarian for Temple De Hirsch Sinai, the
decision to put on a regional conference for the Association of
Jewish Libraries in Seattle is a no-brainer.
"We Seattleites love our libraries," said Harris, a member of the AJL
and co-chair for the event, which will take place Sun., Feb. 15 at
Temple Beth Am.
Titled "From Word to Deed: Teaching our Children Through Literature,"
the conference will focus on the various ways the Jewish tradition is
expressed through children's literature, specifically how the
Holocaust is presented to young readers. The event will also provide
an opportunity for local Jews to learn about the AJL.
The AJL has more than 20 chapters in North America and one in Israel.
The organization's primary goal is to provide support for Jewish
libraries and librarians through recommended book lists, online
support forums, connections to Jewish publishers, scholarships, and
various educational opportunities. This marks the first time the
organization has hosted a conference in the Pacific Northwest,
however, as the region does not have a formal chapter.
Rita Frischer, event co-chair and an AJL member of more than 30
years, thinks the time has come for Washington State to join the fold.
"The organization has been around a long time. They have chapters all
over the country, and now they've had their eye on the Northwest,"
Frischer said. "This is an area that is so family-oriented. Our
experience is that when we talk about libraries, it's often times
parents with young children who want to get involved first."
The conference, which organizers hope will draw in close to a hundred
people from the local Jewish community, will feature exhibits on
children's literature and Temple Beth Am's literary journal, Drash,
as well as lectures by the Seattle Hebrew Academy's head of school
Rivy Poupko Kletenik and Lisa Silverman, children's book editor of
Jewish Book World magazine.
"Lisa Silverman is a real children's literature expert," Frischer
said. "She's particularly interested in how to deal with the
Holocaust in children's books. She's very knowledgeable."
The conference will also provide time for networking and discussion.
"And there will be food, obviously. You don't have a Jewish event
with out food," she added.
According to Frischer, the AJL has member librarians at all manner of
institutions, from major universities to small synagogue libraries.
Aside from Harris at TDHS, there are only a handful of member
librarians in the region.
"We might not ever get the critical mass for a formal chapter out
here," admitted Frischer, who recently moved to Seattle from Los
Angeles where she worked as the library director for Sinai Temple for
more than 20 years. "But there may be enough people who want to
network to get something going."
According to Harris, the conference isn't just for librarians, however.
"Teachers are always looking for educational opportunities like
this," she said. "And there are just so many incredible Jewish
authors out there right now. A lot parents are interested in how they
can pass some of these traditions down to their children and they are
looking for books as a place to start."
The February event will be a pre-cursor to the AJL's 2010 annual
international conference, to be held the in first weekend of July at
the Fairmont Olympic Hotel in Seattle. According to Frischer, the
AJL's decision to host its largest annual event in Seattle signals
real interest in bringing more libraries in the region into the organization.
"I was in New York at the midwinter board and council meeting,"
Frischer said. "They are so excited about coming to Seattle."
The annual international conference typically draws several hundred
participants from the U.S., Canada and as far away as Israel and South Africa.