Forwarded by Joy Rich

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/APG/2009-03/1237315376

From: "Robert de Berardinis" < r-e-...@sbcglobal.net >
Subject: [APG] PAHR Legislation
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:42:56 -0500

Dearr All,

Texas State Archivist Chris La Plante, Secretary of the Society of
State Archivists, asks
that this be forwarded to as many genelogical list servs as possible
and to contact your
representatives. Thanks, Robert de Berardinis

Now's the time to step up for PAHR.

Congressman Maurice Hinchey (D, NY) and Congressman John McHugh (R,
NY) have just sent a
"dear colleague" letter to the members of the House of
Representatives inviting them to
sign on as original sponsors for the "Preserving the American
Historical Records" bill.

What can I do?

Before March 20th, fax, email, or call your Representative and urge
him/her to respond to
the Hinchey-McHugh Dear Colleague Letter by signing on as an original
sponsor for the PAHR
bill. Ask them to contact Mike Iger in Congressman Hinchey's office
(202-225-6335) or
Jason Miller in Congressman McHugh's office (202-225-4611)

Tell them in a few sentences why PAHR will benefit their
constituents-that means you, your
organization, and your researchers.

Send them the attached explanation of PAHR, and explain why PAHR will
benefit your state
and your institution.

It is essential to have a strong set of co-sponsors for this bill for
it to succeed. The
level of support we get right now will tell Congress whether the bill
is viable, or just
one of those bills introduced to please a constituent but not taken seriously.

And if you can do a little more.Encourage others to contact your
Representative as well.
Genealogists, local government officials, researchers of all kinds,
teachers, veterans,
and even your favorite aunt can make the case.

If you need help or more information:

* visit http://www.archivists.org/pahr - you'll find the PAHR fact
sheet, a copy of the
bill, draft letters and resolutions and other materials to help you
understand and
encourage your Representative to support PAHR.

* contact us at p...@statearchivists.org for any other help or
information you need

Please take a few minutes in the coming week to make a call, pay a
visit, or send a
fax/email/letter to your Members of Congress. It's time to tell
Congress that what we do
matters a great deal to this country and its inhabitants. Americans
need and deserve the
resources to ensure access to our heritage. We can do this-with your help!

Contact us at: PAHR Joint Task Force p...@statearchivists.org

Council of State Archivists: Kathleen Roe, David Carmicheal, Karl
Niederer, Vicki Walch

Society of American Archivists: Steven Hensen, Sue Hodson, Ben
Primer, Nancy Beaumont

National Association of Government Archives and Records
Administrators: Tracey Berezansky,
Jelain Chubb