A colleague who works in this area offers these comments:

It's hard to know what qualifies as a "religious" comic book in the
questioner's mind, but here are some thoughts.

The only ongoing comic book series in the traditional "floppy"
magazine format that I can think of is "Mendy and the Golem," which
features and Orthodox boy as the hero (does that make it
"religious"?). It had two incarnations, the original in the early
eighties, and then again twenty years later (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendy_and_the_Golem). It's no longer
being published.

I located this list of Jewish graphic novels put up by an Amazon user:

http://www.amazon.com/Jewish-Comic-Strips-Graphic-Novels/lm/R2HQJ842PT829H.

Some of what's on the list is commentary and history, not fiction,
but some of it I can vouch for as excellent work:

--"The Golem's Mighty Swing," about barnstorming Jewish baseball
players in, if I recall, the 1920s --"Yossel," Joe Kubert's
accounting of what his own life might have been like in the Warsaw
Ghetto if his family had not left Poland in 1926 when he was an
infant (Kubert also did "Jew Gangster," which is about exactly what
it sounds like) --Will Eisner's "A Contract with God" and "To the
Heart of the Storm" speak about the Jewish experience in the pre-WWII
America he grew up in --"The Rabbi's Cat" by Joann Sfar is a charming
book set among Algerian Jews in the 1930s (Sfar also has an Eastern
European Jewish tale called

"Klezmer")

--"The Adventures of Rabbi Harvey: A Graphic Novel of Jewish Wisdom
And Wit in the Wild West" by Steve Sheinkin is funny and entertaining

I don't know why this list is missing Art Spiegelman's "Maus" (which
the person who made the query might find irreligious anyway). Also
not "religious," but well worth reading, is the recently published
"How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less" by Sarah Glidden,
recounting her Birthright trip to Israel and her struggle to
reconcile her lefty politics with what she fears will be pro-Israel
brainwashing.

Dr. Don Weinshank Professor Emeritus Comp. Sci. & Eng.

1520 Sherwood Ave., East Lansing MI 48823-1885

Ph. 517.337.1545   FAX 517.337.1665

http://www.cse.msu.edu/~weinshan