Dear Safraniyot and Safranim,

I'm facilitating a congregational community cookbook (I know, I know, don't we
at Emanu-El only order out or make a reservation!!).  It's a terrific project
and we hope to have it published by the end of the year.

One of the congregants submitted a recipe she calls "Gegleistener Matzo".  I
haven't been able to find a reference to "gegleistener" anywhere -- and this
library has a really good cookbook collection.  The recipe comes from her
"Austrian" grandmother who arrived in New York sometime in the 1880's.  I know
Austria could mean anywhere in the Austro-Hungarian Empire but "gegleistener"
is either German or Yiddish, from the construction and sound of it.

Gegleistener Matzo is basically a kind of a matzah brei for a meat meal.  The
individual matzah (or half of a square matzah)  is briefly run under hot water,
dipped into eggs into which a grated onion has been beaten and slowly fried in
schmaltz.  It can be made ahead, frozen and reheated to be served.  It sounds
delicious, albeit unhealthy. A clue might be that the preferred matzah is
Rakusen's round "tea matzos" --but not the cracker size.  Rakusen is an English
brand so I don't know if that's also a clue.

I'd be grateful for any translation of "gegleistener" ,

Many thanks and Gemar Chatima Tovah!

Liza Stabler

Elizabeth F. Stabler
Librarian