Dear Lynn,

In answer to your question, we have a pretty small conservative shul (about 100
families) in a pretty small midwestern town. When I got here about 7 years ago,
the library, which had been professionally run at different times, was then
staffed by a volunteer "who liked libraries". It was a mess with no budget
whatsoever. I made a case to the board for a small salary ($12/hour, 6-8
hours/week), money for ResourceMate to automate and a book budget of
$1000/year. (Also included were expenses for periodicals, professional dues, &
general supplies, adding up to about $500 -- much of which is not always used).
I also put out calls for donations of all types -- furniture, computers, books,
etc. and established an annual used book sale, that nets between $100-200.

We were lucky in that there was a library fund established years ago for much
of this, that had rarely been touched. Well, over the years, I've had to fight
for many aspects of the budget. My salary was moved to the general budget (a
huge victory, since the fund was being depleted largely by my salary) and the
book budget was nearly wiped out several times, but as of now is at $800/year.
I'm also lucky that I've had a relatively strong, passionate library committee
on my side.

I don't know what other battles I'll have to fight, but for now, as long as the
religious school and parents find the library relevant, I'm ok. I also try to
keep the library front and center with annual programs (funded through grants),
even if, as some have mentioned, we are tucked away in the back of the shul.

As for my salary, sure I'd love to be paid more, but I'm realistic. We're a
small shul with the usual lack of interest. Frankly, with 3 kids, I'm happy for
the enormous flexibility my job affords me, so I find it a decent tradeoff.

Rachel Haus
Library Director
Congregation of Moses Library
Kalamazoo MI