From:
hasafran-bounces+tbe_library=templebethemeth....@lists.service.ohio-state.ed
[mailto:hasafran-bounces+tbe_library=templebethemeth....@lists.service.ohio-
state.edu] On Behalf Of Lisa Silverman
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 3:10 PM
To: Temple Beth Emeth Library
Cc: HaSafran (hasaf...@lists.osu.edu)
Subject: Re: [ha-Safran] recent experiences with e readers

Hi Clare,

I can give you a lot of information about our kindle program, and since
others requested this information, I am posting to the list.

We have not used Whispercast, but we found out that it is only for new
accounts (so we can't use it as we have 6 kindles loaded with over 100
books).You have to buy one book per kindle, and that costs significantly
more money.  Educators are talking about this, of course, and I suggest you
look at this recent post with the comments and see what you can glean from
it:

http://edukindle.ning.com/profiles/blogs/whispercast-changes-everything#comm
ents

Right now, we are allowing our 6 (old!) kindles to be checked out by
patrons, and we are loading each book we purchase to all 6 kindles as that
seems to be allowed by Amazon at this time, although it is sort of murky. We
like to have more copies of the same book, particularly for our book groups.

At this time, we have purchased a refillable American Express credit card
that is attached to the Amazon account used to buy kindle books. Each book
is purchased only by library staff and subtracted from the balance. There is
the danger of patrons purchasing an item on their own, however it is
possible to "de-authorize" the kindle from the account so that won't happen.
Unfortunately, it is somewhat of a pain to do that. We have a user agreement
that patrons need to sign that states that they will not buy books
themselves. Whispercast is probably best used in a college or High school
setting where they are buying dozens of kindles. It avoids the issue of
patron purchasing by limiting the ability to purchase items from the kindle
itself.

As far as putting all the different types of books on  different kindles-I
would imagine that just having all of them on all the kindles would be much
easier. We have created different "collections" within the kindles so people
can browse easier, but this way, they know that if they check out a kindle,
the book they want will be on it, and they can also enjoy looking at other
possible titles that are loaded on them. If you have more than 6, it would
make more sense to separate them by genre in groups of 6 kindles.

At the conference in Houston, we will be talking practical matters about
this and other things regarding e-books and cataloging them, etc, at a
Wednesday session.

Lisa Silverman

Library Director

Sinai Temple Blumenthal Library