Mazel tov, David! It's your year!

Annette Goldsmith

Librarian, Levy Library

Sephardic Temple of Los Angeles

From: hasafran-boun...@lists.service.ohio-state.edu
[mailto:hasafran-boun...@lists.service.ohio-state.edu] On Behalf Of Lisa
Silverman
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 1:41 PM
To: hasaf...@lists.osu.edu
Cc: arig...@library.ucla.edu
Subject: [ha-Safran] Honors for our own David Hirsch!

I am passing along two announcements of interest-both about David:

1.      David Hirsch, librarian at UCLA and member of AJLSC, is doubly
honored this year. On May 20, our AJLSC chapter is presenting him with the
Dorothy Schroeder Award, which is given "for tireless and outstanding
dedication to Judaica Librarianship and the education of Judaica Librarians"
. We are all looking forward to the gala event!

Information regarding donations in his honor can be found here at our
website: http://ajlsc.org/dschroeder.htm <http://ajlsc.org/dschroeder.html>

2.    The second announcement is copied and pasted below:

It is my pleasure to announce that David Hirsch, a librarian in UCLA's
Charles E. Young Research Library Collections, Research and Instructional
Services, has been chosen by the Librarians Association of the University of
California, Los Angeles, as the 2013 Librarian of the Year. This award
recognizes excellence in librarianship over the last twelve to eighteen
months, particularly as it furthers the teaching and research mission of
UCLA, and meets the intellectual, informational, and cultural needs of the
university community.

The award, conferred during the Association's spring meeting on April 24,
2013, recognizes David's continual efforts to enhance the Library's Middle
East collections, helping to make the UCLA Library the premier West Coast
destination for Middle East scholars and researchers. David also worked on
three exhibits, on Afghan history, Armenian printing history, and Islamic
superhero comic books (which included a Library-sponsored event and film
screening). During the last year, David provided invaluable assistance in
finding a permanent home for the Tahrir Documents Archive in UCLA Library
Special Collections. In his unrelenting efforts to enhance collections,
share research, and partner with libraries in the Middle East, David's
bravery was exemplified by a recent two week workshop at the University in
Basra and through his contributions to the development of Iraq's libraries,
despite the obvious danger posed to an American traveling in that country.

The Librarians Association of the University of California is the system's
primary organization for professional librarian and governance affairs.

Congratulations to David Hirsch, the LAUC-LA 2013 Librarian of the Year!

Sincerely,

Angela Riggio

On behalf of the LAUC-LA Librarian of the Year Award Committee, 2013

Iman Dagher

June Kim

Prof. Andrew Leuchter, Immediate Past Chair of the UCLA Academic Senate

 Lisa Silverman

Library Director

Sinai Temple Blumenthal Library

10400 Wilshire Blvd.