When I asked for titles of kidlit/YA with Jewish characters in non-Jewish
books, I got quite a few answers, listed below. A few of those answers are "too
Jewish" to count IMHO, but mostly they were the kind of thing I was looking
for: characters who happen to be Jewish in a story which does not revolve
around Jewish themes or events. I'm especially interested in really recent
books (published in the last 5 years).

Let me know if you have any other suggestions to add to the list! Thanks, all!

Heidi Rabinowitz, he...@cbiboca.org

JEWISH CHARACTERS IN MAINSTREAM KIDLIT/YA

(not in any particular order)

Death by Toilet Paper, and Lily and Dunkin by Donna Gephart

Fleabrain Loves Franny by Joanne Rocklin

The QuikPick Papers series by Tom Angleberger

The Vigilante Poets of Selwyn Academy by Kate Hatterner

Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare

Nest by Esther Ehrlich

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

The Man in the High Castle by Phillip K Dick

Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan

My Year Zero by Rachel Gold

Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

Kissing in America by Margo Rabb

Small Medium at Large by Joanne Levy

Bigger than a Bread Box by Laurel Snyder

Any Which Wall by Laurel Snyder

Seven Stories Up by Laurel Snyder

Animorphs:The Invasion by Katherine Applegate

The Inquisitor's Apprentice by Chris Moriarty

Sister Mischief by Laura Goode

The Whole Story of Half a Girl by Veera Hiranandani

Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork

The Snarkout Boys, the Avocado of Death, and other books by Daniel Pinkwater

Paper Towns by John Green

When Life Gives You OJ, and Aces Wild by Erica Perl

Your Friend in Fashion, Abby Shapiro by Amy Axelrod

Sami's Sleepaway Summer by Jenny Meyerhoff?
California Dreaming by Marissa Moss
Curveball by Jordan Sonenblick
Orchards by Holly Thompson
Under the Egg by Laura Marx Fitzgerald
The Truth About My Bat Mitzvah, and Nine, Ten by Nora Raleigh Baskin
The Hereville stories by Barry Deutsch
Blue Thread , The Ninth Day by Ruth Tenzer Feldman
Mira in the Present Tense by Sita Brahmachari
Intentions by Deborah Heiligman
Don't Talk to Me About the War by David Adler
The Notorious Izzy Fink by Don Brown
Fire! by Barbara Diamond Goldin
Faraway Summer by Johanna Hurwitz
Quake! by Gail Karwoski
Witness, and A Time of Angels by Karen Hesse
The King of Mulberry Street by Donna Jo Napoli
The Life and Opinions of Amy Finawitz by Laura Toffler-Corrie
The Mr Lemoncello's Library series by Chris Grabenstein
Audacity by Melanie Crowder
My Basmati Mat Mitzvah by Paula J Freedman
The Annotated Hunting of the Snark by Martin Gardner
The Rebecca books in the American Girl series
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
Starring Sally J Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
Imperfect Spiral, and Underwater by Debbie Levy
Emily Goldberg Learns to Salsa by Micol Ostow
The Five Story House by Pnina Moed Kass
Nate the Great series by Marjorie Sharmat
Wonder by RJ Palacio
In Case You Missed It by Sarah Darer Littman (forthcoming, Oct 2016)