At my former medium-sized Conservative shul, there was a index card box
with cards for every member family. When checking out books on Shabbat, you
would take your family's card and clip it to the book cards. After Shabbat
the librarian would ender the check-outs into the computer system.

Larry Yudelson
Editorial Director
Ben Yehuda Press
http://www.BenYehudaPress.com