From: Hasafran [mailto:hasafran-boun...@lists.osu.edu] On Behalf Of Phoebe Potts
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 9:19 AM
To: hasaf...@lists.service.ohio-state.edu
Subject: [ha-Safran] children's books with accurate amounts of melanin

Shalom Esteemed People of the Books!

I've got students of color in my synagogue school, but even if I didn't, I
would be writing about the lack of depiction of Persons Of Color in Jewish
books for children. I could use your collective help.

Right now I have two kindergarteners who are taking issue with Let My People Go
because the Egyptians are all caucasian, which is just inaccurate. One of the
only books with POC from KarBen publishing (where we get a lot of our PJ books)
is about a poor Ethiopian who finds a home in Israel.

In secular books in general, POC make up just 3% of the humans depicted, and
those books are often about race. My community, like my nation, is just getting
more brown. I want to make sure that all our Jewish families see themselves
represented, and not just as impoverished persons who need saving.

What to do? I would love to know about Jewish children's literature that
depicts Jewish POC doing normal Jewish stuff. Also, any titles that accurately
depict our ancestors with busy melanin.

Thank you all for what you do! Hooray for librarians!

Your fan,

Phoebe Potts
taagloucester.org<http://taagloucester.org>